If you do the proper research you will find Kansas City to be a fun, underrated and interesting place to visit. We just returned from a 4 day long weekend and suggest the following;
1. KC Barbecue: KC BBQ is the real deal! My suggestions are Joe’s, the most famous place as well as Arthur Bryant’s and Gates BBQ. You won’t be disappointed.
2. Arrowhead and Kaufman stadiums: Arrowhead has cracked my top 10. Unique structural design and shape as well as round reply screens set it apart from other stadiums. We were told that the engineering firm that did Arrowhead was used for several other stadiums.
3. Negro Baseball league Museum: This place was awesome! There’s a mini movie theatre, cool exhibits, great history and a small field with bronze statues. They let you run the bases as well. It’s a must. The museum is directly across from the Jazz museum and you can see both for $15, tremendous value.
4. Power and Light district: Cool downtown area on the Missouri border with tons of bars and restaurants as well as better than expected nightlife. Open until 3am.
5. Country club district area: Very interesting and high end shopping. We were there for their 85th annual art festival. Closed off streets with blocks of booths and progressive art. Locals call it the “million dollar walk”.
6. The people: These are some of the friendliest people we have encountered in the USA. Easy to talk to and they will welcome you with open arms, even Jet fans, lol.